Cleaning wood floors is not as intimidating as you may think. Though wood floors need more care than tile, vinyl or carpet, cleaning them is a breeze with these easy-to-execute tips.
Tips for cleaning your wood floors
* To remove dust from your wood floor, sweep them with a broom that has soft, fine bristles that are capable of capturing fine dust particles. You can also use your vacuum cleaner’s soft brush attachment.
* Don't allow water to settle on your wood floor, because water will seep inside the wood and warp it.
* Use a damp, but not soaking, cloth to clean your wood floors.
* Create a cleanser by mixing 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar in a gallon of water. Dampen a soft cloth in this mixture and wring it until it is devoid of excess moisture and use to mop your wood floors.
Keeping your wood floors shiny
To keep your wood floor looking new and shiny at all times, make a tannic liquid by steeping two tea bags in boiling water for a few minutes. Mop with this liquid for a beautiful shine on wood floors. Alternately, mix 1/2 tsp. olive or jojoba oil and 1/4 cup vinegar or fresh lemon juice. Always remember to use a soft cloth and wring out all the moisture before using it to wipe your wood floors.
General precautions for protecting your wood floors
* Avoid dragging furniture across your wood floors, which will leave scratches. Attach self-adhering gliding pads to the bottom of your furniture's legs to protect the wood from dents or cracks.
* Protect your wood floor with carpet runners, area rugs and mats to shield it from water, stains, accumulation of dirt or dust and excessive sunlight. Always use a rug or plastic floor protector with office furniture that is on wheels.