Kitchen Planning Checklist Kitchen Planning Checklist
General Layout Requirements
- At least one work triangle is in place.
- Total distance between points does not exceed 26'
- Traffic patterns do not interfere with triangle.
- Island/peninsula counters do not interfere with triangle.
Counter Space Requirements
- At least 36" in the mix/prep center.
- At least 18" on one side and 24" on the other side of the sink.
- At least 9" on one side and 15" on the other side of the cooktop.
- At least 15" on one side of a built-in oven or 15" of space on an island counter that is no more than 48" from the front of the oven.
- At least 15" on the opening side of the refrigerator or 15" of space on an island counter that is no more than 48" from the front of the refrigerator.
Appliance Space and Planning Requirements
- Dishwasher within 36" of sink.
- Sufficient space between dishwasher and adjacent counters, other appliances and cabinets to allow for loading and unloading (21" standing space recommended).
- Bottom of microwave placed between counter and eye-level (approx. 24" to 48" off floor) with adjacent counter top work area.
- Adequate ventilation available.
Other Space and Planning Requirements
- At least 12" - 19" of leg room beneath eating areas in counters, peninsulas, islands and bars.
- Sufficient, accessible storage available.
- Aisles wide enough for two people to pass at least 48" in food prep areas at least 36" between facing cabinets.
- Good overall lighting and task lighting at sink, range and work areas.
Reprinted with permission by National Kitchen and Bath Association