An Easy To Make Lace Pillow Heirloom An Easy To Make Lace Pillow Heirloom
If you're looking for a perfect handmade gift to celebrate a joyous occasion, here's one that will be treasured for years to come. This lovely lace pillow project from Rowenta, manufacturer of high-end garment care products, is the perfect gift for brides and bridesmaids, or as a keepsake for newborns.
- Cut a 21" x 17" rectangle of fabric for the pillow front.
- Cut two 131/2" x 17" rectangles of fabric for the pillow backs.
- Turn under and press a 1" hem along one long edge of one pillow back piece.
- Turn under 1" again and press. Stitch close to the fold.
- Repeat for the remaining pillow back.
- Mark the location of your embroidery in the center of the pillow front.
- Lightly starch and press fabric before embroidering. Place stabilizer behind the fabric.
- Follow sewing machine directions for embroidery card or embroider by hand a special design, name or date to mark the occasion.
- Pin the pillow front and back with right sides together and raw edges even, overlapping the hemmed edges of the pillow back.
- Stitch with a 1/2" seam allowance. Trim seams. Turn right side out and press.
- Measure and mark a line 2" in from the edges of the pillow for the flange.
- Stitch along the marked flange line.
- Mark a curving line in the center of the flange for the placement of the lace.
- Pin lace along the marked line.
- At the curves, pull up gently on the gathering thread in the edge of the lace.
- Shape the lace around the curve and steam to remove any puckers or gathers.
- Stitch close to the edges of the lace with a narrow zigzag stitch.
- Trim away the fabric behind the lace.
Rest easy. This lace insertion pillow is easy to make and a perfect gift or keepsake for newborns.