Lap Joint Lap Joint
A lap joint is mainly seen in the welding field when it’s used to help extend a piece of steel or even to thicken it. A lap joint attaches two pieces of metal together. Even if you’ve never welded before, creating a lap joint is one of the easiest things to learn following these steps.
- Find the two pieces of metal that you would like to combine and clamp them together where they are to be connected.
- Take your time and tack weld the two pieces together. By taking your time you will ensure that the pieces stay in position and don’t get connected wrong.
- As you’re welding double check your work.
- Weld all three sides until there’s silver weld all around it.
Important Tips for Creating a Lap Joint
- When creating a lap joint you should make sure that the steel that is being used is rust free.
- Remember that the two pieces that you are welding need to be on the same plane.
- Don’t forget to maintain your tools. This is especially true for the welding gun as it needs drive rolls and a good cleaning to continue to work properly.