Polyurethane finish is arguably one of the most used products on the market today for do-it-yourself projects. Polyurethane finish is very durable and easy to apply, making it quite desirable. Polyurethane finish is available in both oil-based and water-based applications.
Applying a Polyurethane Finish
- Be sure you are working in a clean and dust free environment.
- Clean the surface of the product you are finishing with a lint free cloth and mineral spirits, followed by dusting with a tack cloth.
- Work in a well ventilated area.
- Tip – Never shake polyurethane finish, the small bubbles will leave you with bumps on the surface of your wood.
- Dip your brush into the polyurethane approximately one inch and use long even strokes to apply to the surface.
- Keep the edge wet and overlap each pass of the brush.
- Catch any drips and brush them into the surface.
- Allow to dry and sand with a fine sandpaper.
- Re-coat using the same techniques.
Polyurethane finish is available is high gloss, semi-gloss and matte varieties. It is easy to use and when cared for properly withstands many years of wear.