A portico is a covered entrance porch or walkway supported by decorative columns. It is something we see every day, yet rarely think about. In very simple terms, it is a porch with a roof.
Advantages to Adding a Portico to Your Home
- Protection from the elements when entering or exiting your home.
- Adds a decorative, finished look to your front entry.
- Curb Appeal
Examples of Famous Porticos:
- The Pantheon in Rome
- The East Portico of the U.S. Capitol Building
- The Parthenon in Athens
- The North Portico of the White House in Washington, D.C.
- The Portico of University College in LondonAlthough the portico you add to your front porch may or may not be as elegant as those mentioned above, you may create a grand entrance by simply adding a covered porch with decorative columns supporting the roof.
Simply match the architectural style of your home, use the same materials for the roof, and bring into play the style of your home with the choice of column.