Power Hammers Power Hammers
Power hammers are machines used by blacksmiths to shape metal. Building your own from scratch is cost efficient, but you will need a good knowledge of mechanics and some engineering skills. Power hammers can be built be gathering the following materials from your local scrap yard.
- 1/2 hp, 110v. Motor (an old washing machine motor will work)
- Anvil post 3"-4" and Anvil
- 20-30 lbs Hammer Head
- 1/4" to 5/16" Thick and 2.5" Wide Flat Springs (used for old car suspensions.)
- 1" Thick Steel Base Plate
- Two 6" Channel Iron Pieces (to be welded together and filled with sand and tire weights for a center column.)
With a little ingenuity, these parts can be turned into power hammers. If you can't find all of the parts you need you may have to purchase them, but most of the parts can be found at your local junk yard.
Places to Find Parts for Power Hammers
Many people don't realize that there are a few things on this list for power hammers that can be picked up for free. Sand and tire weights, for instance, can be picked up for free at just about any tire shop. Do a little research to find businesses or state departments in your area that may have parts for power hammers laying around for no charge.