Cordless electric drills are one of the most popular tools for do-it-yourselfers to own. They can be used in a number of different applications and situations. While they can be handy, there are a few drawbacks associated with them as well. Here are a few pros and cons of cordless electric drills.
- Convenience- Having a cordless electric drill is much more convenient than any other method. You can take it with you wherever you are and you will be ready to work. You are not bound by electricity availability like you are with corded drills.
- Speed- Using a cordless electric drill is much faster than doing the work by hand. Using a screwdriver can add quite a bit of time to a project.
- Rechargeable batteries- With cordless electric drills, you can recharge the batteries at the end of the working day. You will not have buy battery after battery like you do with some other battery-powered devices. You have a charger and you plug the battery into it for a few hours to recharge. This saves money in the long run and helps the environment as well.
- Big and bulky- The batteries are usually attached to the handle and can be quite large. Depending on the job that you are doing, this may not be the most convenient feature. With increased size comes more difficulty fitting into tight spaces. Therefore, in those situations, you may have to turn to a smaller corded drill or a screwdriver to finish the job.
- Heavy- Another downside of having the large battery attached is that the drill becomes heavier. Doing a lot of work with a drill throughout the day can tire your arms out quickly. Holding a heavy, battery-powered drill up above your head for hours can wear you out faster than using a lighter corded drill or a screwdriver.
- Waiting on power- When you deal with a rechargeable drill, you will always be faced with the issue of waiting for power. Even if you remember to plug your battery in every night, at some point, you will run out of power when you need it. On top of that, many people forget to plug the battery in when they are done and regularly do not have power when they need it. To remedy this situation, you could buy another battery to charge while you are working. However, then you have even more added expense to the tool. Extra batteries can make the cost of your tool more than the alternatives.