Pros and Cons of Installing an Automatic Door Opener in a Home
Automatic door openers are a necessity in a home with a disabled person who will benefit of these devices. Also, automatic door openers can be beneficial for families with pets that go in and out of the house on their own or they can be useful to install at the kitchen door for an easier access.
There are a few pros and cons when it comes to these automatic door openers.
Pros of Automatic Door Opener
An automatic door opener will be a solution to several problems such as:
- If you or someone else in your home has difficulty entering a room in the house because opening a door is difficult
- You/ someone in your family cannot maneuver the wheelchair so that the door can be opened
- If your pet needs to go out in the morning a lot earlier than you like to wake up, you can opt for a door opener with a timer, so that the door opens when the pet wants to go out.
There are also a number of other advantages of getting an automatic door opener:
- You can install the actuator (the on-off switch) in a variety of places (a wall, a pad on the floor), for an easy access.
- Automatic door openers will allow you to open and close the door manually as well.
- These door openers will allow adjustable hold-open time, so you don’t have to rush when you need to get in.
- These openers usually come with an auto close feature, so you will not need to close it after you enter the room.
- You will not need to modify the door or the jambs to install the door opener.
- You can opt for left hand or right hand opener
- The automatic door opener will fit in most rooms, regardless of the type and size of the door or room
Cons of Automatic Door Opener
Automatic doors run on electricity, so if the power goes out or the batteries of the remote run out, the automatic door becomes a manual door again. However, there are certain ways to avoid this: some doors will have a safety battery that will start operating if there is no power, so you can open and close the door a few times before the power comes back in.
Even if batteries normally need to be replaced every 2 years, you can avoid unpleasant situations by replacing them more often.
Some automatic door openers cannot be set up on some doors, if there is not enough space above.
Some openers will require set up, which involves working with electrical wires, so you might need to hire someone for the job.
While the benefits of an automatic door opener in a home are clear, the disadvantages are easy to address.
If you decide to get an automatic door opener, make sure you know what size you need: a small one will be enough for a lightweight door, but you need a larger one for a heavier door.
When choosing the place to put the actuator, be sure it is not too far away from the door.