Pros and Cons of Terrazzo Floors Pros and Cons of Terrazzo Floors
Installing terrazzo floors in your home can provide you with a very beautiful decor. Terrazzo flooring has been popular for a number of years, and it is still in trend today. While it can be great with the right application, it is not without its drawbacks as well. Here are a few pros and cons of terrazzo floors.
- Beauty—Terrazzo floors will give you a very unique, beautiful floor. The look that terrazzo offers is unlike any other type of floor. Terrazzo contains within it chips of marble, stone, or glass. With this mixture, manufacturers can make a completely customized design for you anywhere in the floor. While it may share some characteristics of other types of floors, it really has a unique look of its own.
- Durability—Terrazzo flooring is one of the most durable flooring options that you could get. It is reinforced with concrete and has bits of stone, marble, or glass in it. Therefore, it can hold up to a lot of usage over a long period of time and still look like new. When you compare it to the durability of many other types of flooring, such as carpet, there is simply no comparison. You can put it in high-traffic areas and never notice a difference.
- Ease of Cleaning—It is very difficult to stain terrazzo with anything. It does not absorb liquids very easily; therefore, you can clean it easily with a wet mop and a variety of cleaners. This gives you one of the easiest to maintain flooring options on the market today.
- High-end look—Terrazzo is well known in the luxury housing markets. Many high-end lofts and contemporary settings use terrazzo floors throughout.
- Price—Price is the biggest drawback with terrazzo flooring, as it is one of the most expensive flooring options available. When you compare it to other flooring options, you will be paying quite a bit more for terrazzo in most cases.
- Difficult installation—This is not really the do-it-yourself kind of project unless you buy terrazzo floor tiles. If you are going with true terrazzo, you will need to have a professional team come in and do it for you. It is a highly specialized process, which also contributes to the high cost. When installing this, you have to pour a layer of concrete, then a layer of sandy concrete, and then another mixture that contains the stone or glass chips. You have to design the chips just right to look good and you then have to sand everything down to ensure smoothness. Then a finish coat is applied, followed by polish. This is not something that you want to do unless you have some experience.
- Texture—This type of flooring is not the most inviting floor to walk on in your bare feet. It is cold and hard and can be tough to stand on for a long period of time.