Repairing Your Whole House Fan

What You'll Need
Extension cord
Electric lights
Voltage sensor
Parts as needed

Whole house fans are useful if you live in a climate without extremely high humidity. They can be very cost-effective and energy-efficient to cool a house and provide a nice breeze unrivaled by air conditioning. When your fan stops working, many repair jobs can be simple enough to do on your own.

Step 1 - Identify the Problem

The most common problems with fans are motor malfunctions and problems with the thermostats. Use the electrical cord to diagnose electrical problems. Try plugging the fan into an extension cord that is plugged into another outlet. If it operates when attached to the extension cord, but not in the wall outlet, you have an electrical problem.

If it is not the outlet, check the thermostat. If your fan has an On/Off switch that bypasses the thermostat, turn it on. If it turns on, your thermostat is broken.

If you do not have an On/Off switch, turn off the power supplying the fan and remove the thermostat. If the fan works without the thermostat, you will need to replace the thermostat as well.

If the power and thermostat are working, it is most likely that your fan has a burnt motor that must be replaced.

Step 2 - Gather Parts for Repair

If it is the motor or thermostat that is causing the problem, purchase replacement parts from your local home improvement store. Depending on the age of your fan, the parts may be covered under warranty and you may receive a free replacement part, free service or even a new fan.

Check the prices on comparable fans before you buy replacement parts, as it may more cost-effective to replace the entire fan than it is to repair it.

Step 3 - Install New Parts

Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation. If you have diagnosed an electrical problem with an outlet in your house and do not have experience with electrical system wiring and repairs, seek professional help, as it can be particularly dangerous. '

Before you make any repairs, make sure that you turn off the power supplying the fan, as whole house fans are extremely powerful and can be very dangerous.