Money Saving Tips for Remodeling Your Kitchen Money Saving Tips for Remodeling Your Kitchen
Any homeowner who has ever tackled a kitchen remodeling job understands just how quickly the costs of the remodel can spiral out of control. In order to get the kitchen of your dreams without breaking the bank, it is important to plan ahead, and to watch out for those things that can quickly drain your hard earned savings.
The costs of the typical kitchen remodeling project break down into a number of different areas, including cabinetry, countertops and lighting. Since cabinetry represents the biggest cost for most kitchen remodeling jobs, we’ll start with some money saving cabinet tips.
- Look at your current and proposed kitchen and try to determine if you can reduce the number of cabinets. It may be more cost effective to choose a smaller number of larger cabinets than a lot of smaller ones.
- Try to keep modifications to the stock cabinets to a minimum. Modifications to molding, the addition of decorative materials and other such changes can be a real budget buster.
- Be sure to look for quality first, and do not let yourself be dazzled by a cabinet that is beautiful on the surface and poorly made underneath. Choosing high quality cabinets will make the remodeling project less costly in the end.
- Be sure to consider function as well as form. The cabinets you choose should be functional as well as beautiful.
Countertops are of course another expensive part of a kitchen remodeling project. It is important to look at these money saving tips when choosing and installing your new counters.
- Look carefully at the material you choose, since the material will no doubt represent the largest cost. There are a number of less expensive materials that look and perform just as well as the most expensive materials on the market
- When choosing a color or a pattern, take note of differences in price between the various styles, and shop accordingly.
- Be sure to shop around as much as possible. The prices for the same countertop materials can vary widely from source to source.
Lighting is another big expense for the typical kitchen remodeling project, and there are ways to trim costs without sacrificing quality. Some of our favorite money saving tips for lighting and lighting fixtures include:
- Think carefully about the number of fixtures you really need, and try to cut back where you can.
- Look at a variety of different lighting models and options, and consider price, quality and overall value.
- Consider installing energy saving light fixtures. These lighting fixtures can be less expensive to install, and they can be most less costly to use as well.
There are of course many other ways to save money on the typical kitchen remodeling project, and a little bit of knowledge and advance planning can go a long way. It is important most of all to work out a budget before getting started, and to review your spending as the project continues. You may be surprised just how much money you can save on the kitchen of your dreams.