Shelving System Installation - Intro
What You Will be Doing
This article will teach you some shortcuts and useful tips on trim for three types of shelving.
Always draw a plan of a shelving system prior to building. This minimizes any design and fitting problems you may have to work with. Use graph paper.
Take into account the visual effect you want from your wall system, what it will house, and the structural elements needed. Use your plan to aid you in making a materials list, so that you will have all necessary materials on hand when you begin building.
Although shelving is not a difficult do-it-yourself project, it is always a good idea to develop safe work habits and stick to them.
- Use the appropriate tool for the job.
- Keep blades sharp. A dull blade requires excessive force and can slip and cause accidents.
- Wear the proper respirator when using adhesives with toxic fumes.
- Wear rubber gloves when using solvents.
- Be careful when lifting, to avoid unnecessary strain.
- Don't smoke. Extinguish pilot lights and open flames when working with adhesives. Some are highly flammable.
- Be sure tools are properly grounded.
- Use all proper precautions when using power tools.
- Use safety glasses or goggles whenever hammering or sawing.