Solid Surface Countertop Pros and Cons Solid Surface Countertop Pros and Cons
The installation of solid surface countertop has been increasingly popular in home construction and remodeling projects. Solid surface is a low-maintenance, non-porous and repairable countertop created by pouring stone pieces, acrylic, resin and other chemicals into a mold. It is heated and fabricated to form top sheets of countertops, sinks, shower pans, bath tubs or even vanity tops. Solid surface is known to be versatile and durable, thus it is a great substitute for real stones or wood. However, before considering the use of solid surface for your countertop, it is important to know its properties and weigh its benefits and limitations. The following are the pros and cons when opting to use solid surface countertops:
Solid Surface Countertop Pros
- Durable - Solid Surface Countertops have seamless features which make it consistent all throughout. There are no cracks, chips or loose ends that might start the damage. It resists impact better than other countertops as well.
- Non – porous - The solid surface countertop’s ability to be joined to the sink with no gaps and create a water tight transition eliminates hidden moist areas where mold and mildew might proliferate.
- Easy cleaning - Its homogenous quality allows you to easily wipe down stains; this enables easy cleaning and low maintenance. Soap, water and mild abrasive household cleansers are used for cleaning.
- Scratch resistant - The greatest advantage of a solid surface countertop is its ability for scratches to be easily scrubbed out by hand and for cigarette burns to be easily sanded out. You don’t have to sweat too much while fixing damages such as these.
- Versatility - Solid surface countertop comes in a wide range of designs and pattern that would suit your preference and may even mimic stone, wood or granite looks. It can be fabricated and shaped to fit any space.
Solid Surface Countertop Cons
- Vulnerable to heat and deeper scratches - High-heat applications can damage solid surface countertops. Heat may discolor, scorch and may even crack the surface upon contact. Cutting directly on to the surface can also damage the surface. It is therefore recommended that you use hot pads, trivets and cutting boards.
- Vulnerable to stronger chemicals - Solid surface countertops are not immune to liquids containing harsh chemicals such as nail polish or paint removers, thinner lacquers or oven cleaners. If exposed to their chemical components, surfaces of countertops can be damaged.
- Costly - Installation of solid surface countertops may be costly. In order to assure durability and best results, professional installation may be preferred; this adds to the cost. They may have higher fees but they offer long-term warranties. Price for installation may start at $50 to $200 per square foot.
The use of countertops has gone a long way to more than just an area of food preparation and mealtimes. Homeowners and contractors are considering the use of solid surface to answer the need for multipurpose countertops. Solid surface countertops may be a viable alternative that you should consider. It is sold in different brand names in the market these days. It is best to explore before choosing an option.