Spring Cleaning Tips Spring Cleaning Tips
Spring cleaning is an annual chore we all struggle to get through and virtually nobody enjoys the thought of it. While it won't make spring cleaning more enjoyable having a list of things to do along with some suggestions on how to do them, might help you get through your chores. Here's some spring cleaning tips to help you get through your spring cleaning.
Don't do it all yourself
- Spring cleaning is a big job and no one should try to take it all on by themselves. The project will get finished a lot faster if everyone in the house is assigned some chores. Even young children can tidy up their rooms, gather trash and perhaps run a vacuum to help in the annual clean up.
Start with the windows
- Clean your drapes and curtains using a vacuum with a brush attachment. Alternatively take them down and either wash them or take to a dry cleaner .
- With drapes and curtains removed it's easy to vacuum the window ledges, inside sills and screens to get rid of accumulated dust..
- Clean venetian blinds by wiping the individual slats while wearing a pair of cotton gloves sprayed with non stick furniture polish.
- Spray your window glass with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water and wipe clean with old newspaper.
In the bedroom
- Spring is a great time to go through your closets and get rid of winter clothes you either haven't worn or are unlikely to wear next year. Sort your clothes into three piles, keep, throw away or donate. Church groups, Goodwill and other charitable organization are always happy to receive donations of useable clothes and you may feel better getting rid of some things knowing someone will use them.
- Wash or dry clean the clothes you're keeping for next year – you don't want to put anything away dirty.
- Spring is also a good time to clean and flip your mattress. You can freshen it before flipping by sprinkling on some baking soda, letting it sit for fifteen minutes then vacuuming it up.
Dust hanging fixtures
- Ceiling fans are easy to clean using a brush with an extendable handle designed specifically to reach the top of the fan blades.
- Chandeliers and hanging fixtures can be cleaned with a feather duster or by rubbing them while wearing cotton gloves dampened with vineEgar and water.
Clean the carpets and floors
- Finish up your spring cleaning by spot cleaning then vacuuming all your carpets and damp mopping vinyl, laminate or hardwood floors.
- You can freshen and deodorize your carpets before vacuuming by spreading a 50/50 mixture of baking soda and borax along with a few drops of a scented essential oil and letting sit for 20 minutes before vacuuming.
Finally, change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and change the filters in your furnace/air conditioners to ensure you'll be safe and breathing healthy, dust free air this spring and summer.