Terms of the Trade: What is a Darby?

long straight darby tool for scraping plaster

A darby is a long, straight tool used for smoothing wet plaster on flat surfaces like walls. It typically features two handles to offer control, facilitating an even application of force across an area to prepare it for finishing treatments.

In a pinch, you can use any long, straight object as a darby, though you may want to fashion some basic handles to get a good grip. Since most construction plaster comes in the form of drywall these days, the darby is primarily used for special restoration projects.

Pick up a darby on Amazon.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commissions at no cost to you.