Terms of the Trade: What Is an Escutcheon?

In the home improvement world, you may hear the term escutcheon used when discussing plumbing and hardware in general. It's the round metal plate in a wall covering the hole where a pipe extends. Also known as a flange or cover plate, you may see them behind the toilet where the water supply line is, under the sink where the water line for the faucet is, and where the shower head meets the wall. Its purpose is simply to look nice and hide the hole in the wall. For that reason, there are lots of different styles and finishes available. When it's rusty, there's no reason not to replace it!