A little DIY, FYI…
Sanus TV Mount Giveaway to Increase Children’s Safety
For many Americans, a flat panel TV is a great way to enjoy family time and entertainment. However, most parents are unaware of the safety risks that flat panel TVs pose for kids. Due to increasing size and new ultra-thin designs, today’s flat panel TVs can easily tip over when bumped or pulled, toppling off of furniture and causing injury or even death.
Bringing this risk to the forefront, Sanus, a leading designer and manufacturer of flat panel TV wall mounts, has partnered with Safe Kids Worldwide. By educating consumers on the risk of unsecured flat panel TV’s, Sanus and Safe Kids Worldwide are offering safe solutions for families across the nation by reducing TV tip-over related injuries and fatalities.
To help encourage you to join their efforts, Sanus is advocating the mounting of flat panel TV’s in your homes and in doing so, offering one DoItYourself.com reader a complimentary flat panel Sanus TV Vuepoint Mount F180 (the reader will receive a mount that fits their respective TV – will not include installation).
To enter at https://www.facebook.com/doityourselfcom/app_152045414852131 and complete the content form. Good luck!
*See rules below
60 Percent of Homeowners Will Remodel This Summer
Zillow Digs Summer Home Improvement Trend and Spending Survey shows that 60 percent of homeowners are planning to undertake home improvement projects this summer.
Other interesting insights into home improvement that the Zillow survey offered included:
- Younger homeowners and homes with children are significantly more likely to be planning a home improvement this summer and perhaps as many as three or more home improvements.
- Homeowners plan to spend a median of $1,200 on summer home improvement projects.
- Homes with children as well as homeowners 54 and younger plan to spend one-third more ($1,500) compared with homes without children and those 55 and older ($1,000).
- Some of the most popular summer home improvement projects are outdoor spaces (40 percent) and bathrooms (17 percent).
To see more of their report head over to http://www.zillowblog.com
Lower Tax Liability through Home Improvement Projects
Interested in doing some home repairs or improvements this summer? Hold up! The Huffingtonpost recently detailed how to plan your next home improvement in a way that will let you take full advantage of tax returns. These aren’t just for energy efficient improvements either.
“The tax rules regarding home improvements are fairly complex. There are also several benefits to claim, ranging from deductions for home purchase sales taxes to credits for making select energy-efficient improvements,” explains Mark Steber. “In addition, you may be able to increase the cost basis of your home, a calculation that is determined by taking the original cost of your home plus any improvements made and less any energy or first-time homebuyer credits and casualty losses you can claim. The basis can help to reduce future gain and future tax exposure when it comes time to sell.”
Following the guidelines of what the IRS deems appropriate for tax returns can be a bit complicated, so be sure to do research before starting your next project.
Read more at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-steber/home-improvement-tax-tips_b_3491632.html
SANUS TV Mount Giveaway to Increase Children’s Safety
1. Eligibility: DoItYourself.com’s Sanus TV Mount Giveaway to Increase Children’s Safety (the “Contest”) is open to anyone who with a valid email account. You must be a legal resident of the United States over the age of 18. All employees of Internet Brands, Inc. (“Sponsor”), all associated agencies and their respective affiliates, licensees or agents (collectively, “Contest Entities”), and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses) and those living in the same household (whether related or not), are ineligible to participate in the Contest. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Entry in the Contest constitutes your full and unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
2. Contest Period: Unless specified otherwise, the Contest entry period begins on June 25, 2013 when the Contest thread is posted on DoItYourself.com’s Facebook page and ends on July 9, 2013 (the “Contest Period”). Winner will be selected from entries properly submitted and timely received during the Contest Period.
3. Contest Entry: You may enter the Contest during the Contest Period by using the Punchtab Application on the Contest thread and filling in your email address, and first and last name. Limit one entry per person. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute as to any registration, the authorized account holder will be deemed to be the participant. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email account. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Incomplete entries are void. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.
4. Selection of Contest Winners/Odds: There will be one (1) winner. The winner will be selected at random from the valid entries received during the Contest Period. The winner will be notified via email within five (5) business days after the end of the Contest Period. In the event that a winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award the prize to an alternate winner. Any return of prize notification or prize email as undeliverable will result in forfeiture of any prize and an alternate winner may, at Sponsor's discretion, be selected. Decisions of the Sponsor on all matters relating to the Contest are final. Sponsor reserves the right not to award the prize in the event that an insufficient number of eligible entries, as determined by the Sponsor, in their sole discretion. Odds of winning the Contest will depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Contest Period.
5. Prizes: The winner will receive a Sanus TV Mount (ARV US$ 90). The prize will not be replaced if lost or stolen, is not transferable and is not redeemable for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if the prize is unavailable for any reason. The Sponsor will deliver the prize to the winner by Federal Express (FedEx), United Parcel Service (UPS), or a similarly suitable shipping service. The reporting and payment of any tax liabilities (federal, state and local) incurred by the winner as a result of the Contest is the sole responsibility of the winner. Any and all guarantees and warranties for merchandise prize are subject to the manufacturer's terms and conditions, and the winner agrees to look solely to such manufacturer for any such warranty or guarantee claim.
6. Publicity: As a condition of entry into the Contest, except where prohibited by law, each entrant and winner, by accepting a prize, grants to Sponsor (and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns and licensees), all right, title and interest in to publicize, broadcast, display and/or otherwise use the Contest entrant’s name, city, state, and biographical material (collectively, “Licensed Rights”) in any media for advertising and publicity purposes, without additional review, compensation, permission or approval of the winner. Winner may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability and Publicity Release within five (5) business days of attempted notification or the winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner selected.
8. Participants’ Obligations: By participating in the Contest, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor. By accepting the prize, the winner agrees to release and hold Contest Entities and their agents and affiliates harmless from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, actions and liabilities of any kind in connection with the Contest or receipt or redemption of the prize. The winner assumes all liability for any injury, death, or damage caused, or allegedly caused, by participating in the Contest or use or redemption of the prize. Any disputes that may arise hereunder shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California without regard to the conflicts of laws principles of any jurisdiction. Venue with respect to any such disputes will be held in the state and federal courts in the county of Los Angeles and the Central District of California, respectively.
9. Winner’s List: For a list of the Contest winner, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Internet Brands, Inc., Attn: DoItYourself.com’s Sanus TV Mount Giveaway Winner’s List, 909 North Sepulveda Boulevard, 11th Floor, El Segundo, CA 90245. Requests for winner’s list must be received within thirty (30) days after the end of the Contest Period.
10. Sponsor: Internet Brands, Inc., 909 North Sepulveda Boulevard, 11th Floor, El Segundo, CA 90245