Tips for Safe Mold and Mildew Clean Up Tips for Safe Mold and Mildew Clean Up

If you've recently discovered large deposits of mold or mildew in your home, you may be wondering how to go about the mold and mildew clean up process. If so, read on to learn a variety of helpful tips for safely removing mold and mildew from your home.

Make Sure the Area Is Properly Ventilated

Ensuring that the infected area is properly ventilated is a key factor in mold and mildew clean up. Not only will good ventilation protect you from the potentially harmful fumes given off by the more severe forms of mold and mildew, it will also help shield you from the undesirable effects of prolonged exposure to the potent fumes given off by many commercial cleaners. There are a number of simple and effective ways to go about ventilating your home's mold or mildew-infested areas.

One of the simplest methods of ensuring proper ventilation is to keep your doors and windows open for the full duration of the mold and mildew clean up process. Additionally, if your cleaning agent of choice is a commercial mold or mildew cleaner, you may want to leave your doors and windows open for several hours following the successful completion of the clean up, thus allowing the fumes given off by the cleaner to fully exit your home. It's also a good idea to have at least one window fan installed in the area that is being cleaned. When the cleaning process is underway, make sure to have the fan set on "exhaust," which will enable any harmful fumes to make a prompt exit from your home.

Wear Protective Gear

When performing mold or mildew clean up, it is important to wear the proper protective gear. A basic paper safety mask and a pair of protective rubber gloves are typically all you should require to protect yourself when ridding your home of mold and mildew. The mask will help protect you from inhaling the harmful fumes given off by commercial cleaning products and dangerous forms of mold and mildew, while the gloves will help shield your skin from any rashes or infections caused by exposure to mold and mildew. In addition, if your mold or mildew infestation is on one of your home's ceilings, you may want to consider wearing safety glasses or goggles. This will help protect your eyes from the inevitable dripping that takes place whenever cleaning solution is applied to a ceiling.

Take Periodic Breaks

As stated in the previous tips, there are a lot of potentially hazardous fumes involved with mold and mildew clean up. Even with the proper protective gear and the right kind of ventilation, prolonged exposure to these fumes stands to give way to health problems. Thus, when performing mold and mildew clean up, make a point of taking a ten minute break per every half hour of cleaning. Try to take your breaks fairly far away from the infested area, possibly even outdoors. If you're particularly suceptable to the fumes, take longer, more frequent breaks.

Got a New Project You're Proud of?

Post it on Your Projects!