Wax Ring Replacement Wax Ring Replacement
If you have to replace the wax ring on your toilet, here's a few do's and don'ts to remember.
- Turn the new bowl over and put on the new wax or rubber seal around the hole.
- Turn the bowl back over and position it so that the bolts fit through the holes.
- Twist the bowl a bit to make sure it is in the right place. Press the bowl down to the floor to compress the seal. The best way to press is to sit on it. Tighten the nuts on the bolts while sitting on it.
- Caution: Don't tighten the bolts too much, otherwise they can crack the porcelain.
- Make sure that toilet is level. Use little planks of wood to shore up the toilet to make it level. Over the next few days the toilet settles, so come back occasionally and tighten the nuts so that they are snug.
- Tip: Dump some water into the bowl to make sure that the water won't leak out of the bottom. If it does, try to compress the wax seal more. If that doesn't work, you need to start over with a new wax seal.