Wicker Patio Furniture: Advantages and Disadvantages
Wicker patio furniture is a popular choice and is widely available. "Wicker" refers to the method by which the furniture is made. The material that is mostly used is rattan, a plant found in the rainforests of South-East Asia. Unlike bamboo, which is mostly solid, rattan is very hollow. It can be steamed and bent into place. The material hardens when it has cooled, and finer pieces are woven into the frame.
- A wide variety of styles are available.
- Natural, bamboo-like rattan material is fast growing and sustainable.
- The furniture looks good inside and outside the house.
- Wicker patio furniture will suit a modern and a traditional home.
- The furniture is light and easy to move around.
- The set may not stand up well to bad weather, if you forget to put it away.
- Finely woven wicker patio furniture is more expensive, as more labor has gone into its production.