I used AeroMarine Products 300 21 Epoxy, Minwax White Water Based Stain, Rustoleum Green Satin Finish Spray Paint, about 4.25 in pennies and an old side table to create a penny epoxy tabletop. I did several thinner pour coats instead of one larger pour so I could sand out any bubbles between coats. I used a water based stain because it allows the epoxy to penetrate and bond to the wood for a lasting finish that won't ever delaminate. The epoxy was self leveling which ensured my tabletop turned out nice and even, even though the wood was chipped and warped. The whole project took a week and was pretty inexpensive because the table was free.
Alley find sidetable and AeroMarine Products 300/21 Epoxy Resin and about $4.25 worth of pennies.
60 grit sandpaper to remove the old brown paint.
All sanded and ready for the water based white stain.
Because the AeroMarine Products 300/21 Epoxy is self leveling, the tabletop came out even and level even though the wood was a bit uneven and warped.
Minwax white water based wood stain. Oil based stain is tricky to get the epoxy to stick to. Water based stain allows the epoxy to penetrate and bond to the wood.
Pennies all laid out from shiniest to dullest.
I brushed on a coat of epoxy and then laid the pennies in the epoxy. I like this method because you don't need to buy another type of glue and it cuts down on air bubbles coming up from under the pennies.
Plastic knife to scrape the drips off. It's a lot easier to scrape off gelled epoxy than it is to wait for it to cure and then have to sand them down.
Edges taped up to prevent the epoxy from running off the table.
Sanding out air bubbles. The next coat of epoxy will fix any scratch marks from sanding.
After 3 pour coats of epoxy. You can see a few bubbles and where the epoxy wicked up next to the tape. Both things are easily fixed by sanding.
Final pour coat. Letting this coat roll off the edge and using a chip brush to smooth it along the edges. Once the drips start to gel, in 20 minutes or so, I'll scrape them off.
Edges taped off and ready for some spray paint.
Green Rustoleum Satin Finish spray paint.
Epoxy part is all done and looking bubble free and like one continuous pour even though it was several brush and pour coats with the bubbles sanded out between.
High gloss finish from the epoxy. This project took me about a week from start to finish.